Retailers must return all tickets to you. All paid winning tickets will be torn in two, and returned to you along with your prize and Validation Slip. All other tickets must be returned to you in one piece, along with the Validation Slip - this includes non-winning tickets.
Retailers must return all tickets to you.
All paid winning tickets will be torn in two, and returned to you along with your prize and Validation Slip.
All other tickets must be returned to you in one piece, along with the Validation Slip - this includes non-winning tickets.
QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS ABOUT RETURNING TICKETS:
What change is being made?
• Effective April 1, 2008, Retailers will return torn winning tickets to you after the prize has been paid.
• Retailers will pay the prize, tear the ticket in two, and then return the two ticket pieces and the Validation Slip to you.
Why would I want a torn ticket back?
• The two halves of the ticket will include your initial selections, should you wish to check the ticket again.
• The ticket also carries a control number that allows WCLC to check the game system computer records and ensure that the correct prize was paid.
Why are the tickets torn rather than simply returned?
• The tickets are torn to indicate that the prize has been paid.
• If they were returned intact, you might be unsure about whether or not you had cashed the ticket.
How have winning tickets been handled in the past?
• Winning tickets can be redeemed at retail for cash prizes up to $1,000, funds permitting or if it follows franchise policy. This has not changed.
• Non-winning tickets, and winning tickets where the prize has not been paid, have always been returned intact to players.
• When the Retailer has paid the prize on a winning ticket however, the ticket has been "cashed and trashed" and not returned to you. That is, the Retailer paid the prize, ripped the ticket in half and threw it into the garbage.
Why did the Retailer destroy winning tickets after paying the prize?
•; Cashed winning tickets were destroyed to prevent the possibility of the prize being paid twice.
Why did you decide to change the "Cash and Trash" system?
• There have been no major prize claim problems in our region.
• Nevertheless, WCLC has been introducing a number of initiatives to ensure you have total confidence that you have received the correct prize.
• Returning cashed winning tickets will allow you, if necessary, to double check that you have received the correct prize.
• This new practice will ensure that every ticket checked through the terminal - winning and non-winning - “ is returned to you.
• It will also enable Retailers to provide additional proof to you that the correct prize has been paid.
Will tickets presented at a Prize Office be torn and returned?
• No, tickets paid at Prize Offices must be kept on file at WCLC for a minimum of seven years.
How are you communicating this change to the public?
• Advertising regarding the "Tear and Return" policy will appear on radio, TV and in print.
• This website will include messaging on its home page, past winning numbers pages, claiming a prize page and in the FAQ section.
• Messaging will be printed on lottery tickets during the month of April.
• There will be an article in April's provincial Luck magazines - “ a free publication for lottery players.
• Publicity materials, such as posters and merchandiser inserts, will be provided to all retail locations.
What should I do if a Retailer doesn't tear and return a winning ticket after the prize has been paid?
• You should ask for the torn ticket to be returned to you.
• Any questions or concerns should be directed to the WCLC toll-free number, 1-800-665-3313, provided on all tickets.